Sunday, August 2, 2009

Jake Umbriaco



Hello friends. It’s been awhile…. I’m married with canines (Kelsey and Battlecat) and reside in Houston, TX.

After graduation I moved into El Caliente Apts with (Adam) Schwarz, (Kyle J.O.) Dittmer, and Ari (Fershtut). Dittmer’s bike got stolen, our floor reeked of curry, and we had two tv’s stacked on top of each other…..good times. Speaking of Dittmer- he’s a you-tube sensation and you simply must check out this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srRdtl9Rk5M).
The boys and I all matriculated at the U together. I graduated in 2001 with a BS in Geophysics. I spent 6 months working outside of Seattle as a Campus Minister at PLU and then spent the summer in Rome hanging out with refugees (mostly Afghani and Iraqi). I returned to SLC in the Fall of ’02 – and started grad school. I was also the Baptist Campus Minister at the U for 3 yrs.
Erin and I met at a party… she was there with friends and I was dancing on tables. I have this killer routine involving elephant-themed undies and undersized billy-goats… it’s sort of complicated to explain… but I found her digits on a single and decided to give her a call.
That last paragraph might be fabricated…. Anyway – Erin and I dated for three yrs… as the wedding day approached an event happened that altered the course of our future together. Erin insisted that prior to our wedding I get my eyebrows waxed. This follicle emasculation traumatized me in ways I’m not yet emotionally ready to deal with. Suffice to say I watch the Gilmore Girls a lot.

After Erin graduated and I finished my MS we moved to Houston. If you’ve ever worked out really hard you’ll know the sensation of taking off that gym sock…. It’s all sweaty and hot and gross. So if you climbed into that sock with 5 million other people… that’s Houston!
Erin just finished her MD at Baylor College O’ Medicine and has started her residency here in Pediatrics. I work for Chevron in downtown Houston as geophysicist and I pastor a church called Kaleo.

I just started an MBA program at Rice and I’m in class all next week so I won’t be able to make it out for the festivities.

-jake

Feel free to visit our blog: jumbriaco.blogspot.com

0 comments: